Wednesday, September 14, 2011

The Great Baby Dance Debate

For a while I've gone back and forth on this issue myself, but given Fiona's exceptional attitude lately I feel like she could really use an outlet. For her age it would still be a mommy and me class, but I thought it would be good for her to get to spend some time with other kids her age. She's not in daycare so she doesn't get much interaction with other toddlers.

For a while I had come to the conclusion that it wasn't worth the cost, and that we should just wait until next year. Then I realized she will be preschool age next year and I think that enrolling her in dance now will help social skills and make the transition easier.

Well I talked with her dad about it and he said, well she's got so much going on already with her heart, growth problems etc that he doesn't think it's a good idea to put her in dance yet. He also mentioned the obvious germ issue (esp w/flu season just around the corner). While I see where his thinking is I don't think that a dance class for 2 year olds will be that strenuous, I think it's more for fun. I'm just really surprised by his reaction because he's always the one saying that he just wants her to have a normal life, isn't this part of a normal life? I mean we can't put her in a bubble and lock her up because she has some medical issues.

I don't want to go against him, I just don't think that his concerns are very legitimate. Especially since even if we wait a year she will still be a heart kid. Realistically I think that everything that goes on with Fi really does bother him and that he is scared for her even though he always says that he's the optimist and isn't worried. His fears only come out in little bursts when a specific situation arises and makes him think about the fact that she is not a "well baby" .

No comments:

Post a Comment